An exotic tale of adventure and romance
By William Shakespeare
JULY 22 - AUGUST 2 | SHUBERT THEATRE
Exotic adventures, dark mysteries, and enchanting love carry the
handsome warrior Pericles, Prince of Tyre across the seas, into brothels
and castles. After losing his wife and daughter, he unexpectedly
discovers joy in a scene considered "one of the extraordinary sublimities
of Shakespeare's art." PG10
Please note: This production will be rehearsed the way Shakespeare's company would have: Actors arrive with their lines learned, rehearse on their own, wear what they can find, and open in a matter of days. No director, no designers. Just great actors, a great play, pure adrenaline, spontaneity and creativity.
Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival's productions of Henry V and Pericles are part of Shakespeare in American Communities, a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest.
- Prologues: join us for insights into the play in an informal setting. Free. Held in the theatre 45 minutes prior to curtain.
- Opening night, Friday, July 24th. Join the PSF actors and staff for a friendly post-show champagne toast.
- Meet the actors for an informal talk-back after the show Thursday, June 19 and 26.
- Savoring Shakespeare: specialty dinner themed to the play with behind-the-scenes insights Thursday, July 23; Saturday, July 25 and August 1; Sunday, August 2; 5:30pm
“Superb…are Christopher Patrick Mullen as Pericles, Gina Lamparella as Thaisa, Susan Riley Stevens as Dionyza, Richard B. Watson as several kings, Spencer Plachy as Lysimachus, Emiley Kiser as Marina, Suzanne O'Donnell as the Bawd and Eric Hissom as Boult.”
“’Pericles’ ... genuinely entertains. It boasts the spontaneity of an improvisation and provides insight into the art of making theater.”
“The epic story of ‘Pericles,’ in Shakespeare's telling, has it all …And it's even more fun the way The Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival is doing it.
“a highly entertaining production…a fast-moving version with speedy transitions”
“A bright evening, a spirited rendering.”
Production Stage Manager:
Producing Artistic Director:
* Member of Actors' Equity Association, the Union of Professional Stage Actors and Stage Managers in the United States.